Monday, May 13, 2013

Task Before You Ask

Cheryl K. on the Primary Chorister's Facebook Group shared this very, very helpful classroom management tip:


-> "Hands down, the BEST teaching advice I've ever been given is called, 'Task before you ask.' When you ask a question, give the kids something to do in response, or else they will all call out at once (because they all think you are talking to only them). This technique works well for attention-getting as well as any discussions mid-lesson. For example, you could say something like, "I want you to listen the piano, and when you know what song it is, put your hand on your head. Remember, no talking. Just put your hand on your head." Or, "Raise your hand if you can tell me one of Nephi's brother's names."

Another application for reverence - start out in a normal voice, then go more quietly as you point to different body parts: "If you can hear me, put your finger on your nose. If you can hear me, touch your ears. If you can hear me, fold your arms." Or, "If you are ready to sing today, can you please sit up straight and let me see your eyeballs?"

NEVER ask a question like, "Who knows what song this is?" or "Are you ready?" or "Do you want to do this again?" They will almost always call out all at once, and there's a good chance someone will answer inappropriately.

I hope this helps you. In all my years of teacher education, this is by far the best teaching/classroom management tool I have ever learned." <-

No comments:

Post a Comment